There is something very comforting about this simple pudding. I used ASDA’s white Free From bread, but any white bread will work. It doesn’t need to be fresh bread either which makes ‘getting rid of stale bread’ a brilliant excuse for making it. This recipe serves 4-6 people.
approx. 6 slices of gluten free bread
butter / margarine
2-3 tablespoons castor sugar
3-4 tablespoons sultanas
1 pint milk (I haven’t tried but I don’t see why this wouldn’t work with a dairy-free alternative)
1-2 tablespoons Demerara sugar
Sorry for the vague quantities – it depends very much on how big your dish is and how sweet you like your desserts.
- Grease a 1and a half pint pie dish.
- Cut the crusts off the bread and butter the slices.
- Cut the buttered bread into halves / quarters depending on the size of your dish.
- Put a layer of buttered bread on the bottom of the dish, buttered side up.
- Sprinkle some castor sugar and sultanas on top of the bread.
- Continue layering bread, castor sugar and sultanas, making sure that the final, top layer is bread.
- In a jug, beat the eggs and stir into the milk.
- Pour the egg and milk mixture into the pie dish. Allow to stand for 30 mins.
- Pre heat your oven to 180oC.
- Sprinkle the top of the pudding with Demerara sugar and put in the oven.
- Bake for at least 40 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the dessert has set.
- Serve hot, either by itself or with custard.