This is a really simple recipe which can easily be scaled up or down according to how many portions you want to make. The quantities below make approx 8 portions and I freeze the spares for an easy meal at a later date.
500g beef mince
2 onions, chopped
2 teaspoons chilli powder (adjust this to your taste)(fresh chillies could be used instead)
2 tins red kidney beans OR 1 tin red kidney beans and 1 tin borlotti beans (drained)
2 tins chopped tomatos
2 tablespoons tomato puree
1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
2 beef stock cubes (check they’re gluten free)
1 box passata
- Fry the onions in a little oil until they have started to soften
- Add the mince and continue to fry until the meat has broken up and gone brown
- Add the chilli powder / fresh chillies and fry for a couple of minutes, stirring constantly.
- Turn the heat down and add the rest of the ingredients. Stir well.
- Simmer gently for at least 20 minutes, stirring regularly. The longer it simmers for, the better it tends to taste.
- Serve with rice or a jacket potato.