I adapted this recipe from another one. It tastes really nice but next time I make it I’ll probably add another teaspoon of ginger to give it a bit more oomph.
15 mins prep, 40 mins cooking and 15 mins cooling.
20x 20cm cake tin
Mid-sized microwaveable bowl
200g Gluten Free Plain Flour (add 1/4tsp xanthan gum if not already in the flour mix)
175g soft margarine
110g soft brown sugar
90g golden syrup
2tsp ground ginger
1/2 tap ground mixed spice
1 large egg, lightly whisked
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
1) Line and grease the cake tin.
2) Put the ginger, mixed spice, flour and egg into the large bowl and set to one side.
3) Put the margarine, sugar, treacle and syrup into the mid-sized bowl and microwave it for a couple of minutes until it has melted. Stir it to combine.
4) Allow to cool a little then add to the dry mixture.
5) Add the bicarbonate of soda to the milk, stir and add to the mixture.
6) Mix with a balloon whisk(or if you’re lazy, like me, the whisk attachment on a food mixer) until it combines into a runny batter. Be careful – when I made this loads of the flour stuck to the bottom of the bowl.
7) Pour the mixture into the tin and bake on 170*C/150*C/Gas Mark 3 for 40 minutes, until the cake has risen and springs back when lightly touched. You may need to cover it with foil for the last 10 mins to stop the top burning whilst the middle cooks.
8) Allow to cool for 15 mins before removing it from the tin and putting it on the cooling tray.
9) Cut into 16 pieces and enjoy!