When I was diagnosed with coeliac disease I thought my days of enjoying Simnel Cake were over. This recipe works a treat though and it’s very easy to make. Happy Easter everyone!
Ingredients (Makes a 6″/15cm round cake)
1/2 tbsp treacle
75g soft brown sugar
100g gluten free plain flour
25g ground almonds
1/2tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp mixed spice
430g mixed dried fruit
1) Grease and line a 6″/15cm round tin and preheat the oven to 140*C.
2) Cream together the treacle sugar and margarine.
3) Beat in the eggs and glycerin.
4) In a separate bowl, mix the flour, ground almonds, xanthan gum and spices.
5) Slowly add the dry ingredients to the sugar etc.
6) Add the fruit and stir well.
7) Spoon half of the mixture into the tin and Level with a spoon.
8) Roll half of the marzipan out into a circle about a centimetre smaller than the cake.
9) Put the marzipan circle into the cake tin and put the rest of the mixture on top. Level with a spoon.
10) Bake for approx. 90 mins, until firm.
11) Allow the cake to cool completely.
12) Roll out the remaining marzipan into a circle the same width as the cake.
13) Spread a small amount of apricot jam onto the top of the cake and put the marzipan on top of that.
14) Use your fingers to shape the edge of the marzipan, then a knife to score the flat surface.
15) Put the cake under the grill, or use a blowtorch, to brown the marzipan.
16) Allow the cake to cool again and decorate with chocolate eggs, if desired.